Cover for you and your cameras.

The below packages have been designed for Film Makers with an income of less than £100,000. Just click on the package that best suits your needs.


£20 per month*

£5,000 Cameras
£1m Public Liability
£100k Professional Indemnity
£2k Re-shoot and re-compilation costs
£750 Loss of Film Processing


£29 per month*

£10,000 Cameras
£1m Public Liability
£100k Professional Indemnity
£5k Re-shoot and re-compilation costs
£500 Continuing and alternative hire charges
£750 Loss of Film Processing


£46 per month*

£15,000 Cameras
£2m Public Liability
£250k Professional Indemnity
£5k Re-shoot and re-compilation costs
£500 Continuing and alternative hire charges
£750 Loss of Film Processing

*All premiums are inclusive of insurance premium tax and apply only if you can comply with the statement of fact (shown when you click apply now).

Insurance for film makers

Why trust us with your film makers insurance?

  • Re-shoot and re-compilation costs: Our insurance goes beyond the cameras themselves and extends to cover the expenses associated with re-shoot and re-compilation as a result of damage to your cameras.
  • Transparency: The strongly believe that a transparent policy is extremely important. Where possible we ask clients to itemise the equipment they have. In the event or loss or damage, the claims can be paid extremely quickly. We can also provide two options; replacement cost as new or second-hand replacement cost.
  • Clear cover in respect of theft from un-attended: All specialist photographic insurance policies will contain different levels of cover in respect of theft from un-attended. What is critical, is that you are clear as to what and when you can leave your filming equipment un-attended in your vehicle. Whenever we insure film makers, we ensure you are clear on the cover provided.
  • Production indemnity: If you have any involvement with commercial productions, we can include specialist production and re-shoot indemnity.

A few tips when buying film makers insurance.

As a film maker, it’s important that you think carefully when buying insurance. It’s too easy to get it wrong and insurers don’t help with complicated policy wordings and endorsements. This guide provides some key considerations for film makers when buying insurance
So, what do you need to protect as a film maker?
We think two of the most important factors are

  1. your cameras and kit – without it you’ll come to halt. Quickly.
  2. your reputation – referrals and existing contacts are probably a huge source of your annual income

You can reduce your risks significantly by carefully selecting a reputable insurer and ensuring you are covered correctly.

Insuring your cameras and kit – what to look out for when choosing camera insurance / film maker insurance?
Endorsements and exclusions – unfortunately every insurer is different and as result you can often get caught with a policy that has an important exclusion or requires certain conditions before a claim is made. Below are a few important endorsements to keep an eye out for when buying camera insurance

  1. Forcible and violent entry – effectively restricts cover unless there is physical evidence of entry or exit to your property, i.e. smashed window by thieves to gain entry. Look for “full theft cover” which is far broader.
  2. Care, custody and control – restricts cover unless your camera is with you whilst outside your home/business address. Gives insurers a chance to wriggle out of claims unless you can prove the camera is in your care at all times!
  3. Unattended vehicles – can exclude theft from your vehicles if you leave your vehicles unattended, even if temporarily. If it’s common for you to leave your cameras unattended in your vehicle, you should be aware of the cover provided under your policy.
  4. Equipment case or professional packing – another endorsement that insurers use to their advantage. Insurers can refuse to pay a claim for damage whilst your camera is in transit, for example in the back of you car, unless you can prove your camera was contained in an equipment case of adequate protection or professionally packaged.

It’s important to highlight that many insurers may refuse to alter the exclusions above, but nonetheless an awareness of these exclusions should help encourage you to be extra careful with your cameras .

Excess – the excess you must pay varies somewhat in the market for film makers insurance. Unfortunately filming equipment is theft attractive and can also be damaged easily. It might be worth looking around the market for lower excess and paying slightly more.
All risks – be sure to opt for an insurer that is offering what is known as “all risks” cover. All risks cover basically means that your cameras are insured as a result of damage from any eventuality other than what is excluded. Yes, there still will be exclusions, but this is broader cover than what is known as a specified perils policy, which only covers the perils such as fire, theft, flood etc, as specified.
Business interruption – check if the policy includes business interruption. Business interruption will either replace the income you would have earned during the time you were without equipment or provide cover to rent / hire alternative equipment whilst you obtain replacement cameras and video equipment.

Protecting your reputation as a film maker
As a film maker your reputation is critical. There are two insurance covers we suggest you consider which will help you protect that reputation:

Professional indemnity insurance for film makers
This covers your mistakes and protects you when clients allege that you haven’t done a good job. You might think it will never happen but it does. A film makers professional indemnity policy will cover anything from the costs of replacing accidentally deleted client photos or re-shoot costs if your shoots were not as required by the client.

Importantly professional indemnity provides both

  • compensation to your client, in circumstances where you are liable due to professional negligence, and
  • defence costs, to defend you against un-justified allegations

So, why does this help protect your reputation as a film maker. There’s nothing worse than (in the unlikely event something does go wrong) attempting to handle this matter yourself. If you are insured with a reputable insurers, their claims handlers and solicitors are expert in these situations, and may be able make the problem disappear without any fuss. More time for you to do what you love . . filming

Public liability for film maker
Public or General Liability, covers claims against you or your business from third parties for bodily injury and property damage as a result of your business activities. I.e. if someone trips over your tripod and injures themselves. Public liability insurance is important for photographers as you are constantly away from your own premises, increasing the chance of causing bodily injury or property damage to a third party.

Camera insurance and the importance of the right insurer
We won’t make comment on any insurance companies here, but we will advise you that the claims service between the various camera insurers will be different. Do your homework on the insurance company you choose, and don’t be tempted to always opt for the cheapest, you may pay the price at a later date.

In the event your cameras are damaged or stolen you need an insurer whom will be able support you in your time of need. You want an insurance company that will:

  • pay your claim quickly
  • not look to find any way possible to avoid the claim
  • support you, especially as your equipment may be difficult to replace
  • if you have business interruption insurance, help you hire alternative equipment so you can continue your job in the event the equipment you require may take some time to purchase

An insurance company’s willingness to pay your claim quickly is critical. If your camera is damaged this weekend, you probably need a replacement within a week, if not sooner!

What other insurance should film maker consider?
Employers’ liability
Employer’s liability insurance covers the cost of compensation if an employee of your business is injured or becomes ill as a result of the work they undertake for your business. If your business has any employees you are required to hold an employers liability insurance policy by law
Office insurance 
This covers your business property, i.e. the contents of your office. Your cameras are your most important assets, but don’t forget to your office equipment especially if you have your own specialist printers, photography equipment and software.